Selecting Your Agent
Selling can be a stressful time, that’s why it pays to employ a professional.
Your property is your largest financial asset. That is why it is important to offer it to the market place in a way to maximise it’s value. At Hill & Viteri Property we are always looking for the best ways to market your home to find the best buyers to purchase it, then negotiate a price to reflect it’s true value to you. Presentation plays a major roll in this process and we hope this guide as well as the advice from one of our top sales professionals will give the the excellent result you are looking for.
“Our aim in this document is to try and help make selling real estate that little bit easier and make the whole process a smooth and memorable transition”.
Making A Good First Impression
Create an environment similar to a show home
The best way to make a buyer “feel right at home” is to create an environment similar to that of a show home. Now obviously you cannot recreate the feeling of a perfect display home without starting from scratch, but there are some valuable techniques to learn from them.
Features of a show home
- Neutral, clean and clutter free environment
- The colours and decorating accent the home features
- The smell is new and clean and the lighting is bright
- All details are looked after, from the manicuring of the lawn to a floral arrangement in the entry
The impact of small details
Small details make big statements about the perceived condition of your property. A house that shows poorly as a result of an overgrown lawn, peeling paint or simply the smell of mildew may create the overall feeling that the property has not been cared for.
If your home leaves buyers with that impression it could cost you valuable time and money.
- Do your walls have any cracks or holes?
- Is it in need of painting?
- Do your ceilings have any water stains, cracks or peeling?
- Are your carpets stained or worn? Do they need stretching?
- Are your appliances clean and in good condition?
- Is your floor in good condition?
- Is your tile grout clean?
- Do your sinks drain freely?
Here are some tips to help you set up the interiors
- Remove any and all excess clutter from rooms, bench tops, wardrobes, etc.
- Prepare tables with flowers and place settings; a game or book on the coffee table
- The kitchen is perhaps the most important room in the house and it can have a major impact on the value of your home. If appliances are outdated, it may be a good
idea to replace them or refinish them. Outdated kitchen cabinets can often be improved by simply installing new knobs or hardware. If they are especially old you can replace the doors or door fronts.
- Thoroughly clean vanity, clean showers, and tubs including shower doors, purchase and set out show towels
- If carpets are dirty or need stretching, have them professionally cleaned or stretched
- Keep the garage neat and organised, clean up any oil stains and dispose of unusual items that create clutter
- Do a quick dusting before showings. Give carpets a once over with the vacuum & straighten rugs
The Home Front
Your property’s landscape is not limited to the lawn and shrubs but encompasses everything from the street to your door step.
For this reason, you must make sure each component of the casual landscape looks its best. The real estate industry refers to this as “street appeal”.
- Keep the grass healthy (fertilized, watered, mowed and edged)
- Mulch the beds fresh, shrubs trimmed and leaves raked. Plant flowers, pull weeds and clean up after pets
- Power wash the house, paths and deck or patio if needed
- Paint the house if needed as this is one of the best investments you can make to increase the value
- The doorway is the focal point of your home and if it needs repairing or a new light fixture do not hesitate
- Make sure the windows are sparkling clean
- A quick paint of an old mailbox will let potential buyers know you care about the details
- It is best that vehicles not be left at the home during inspections, however, if this cannot be avoided, it is best that they be detailed and thoroughly cleaned to
create an overall impression
Roof, gutters, downpipes and driveway
The roof may be the single most important aspect of your home front. A well maintained roof will say a lot about the overall condition of the property.
Neat and trim looking gutters and downpipes make a house look shipshape and help to keep the foundations dry. If these items are in disrepair, you can count on this being addressed by the buyers building inspector.
Consider the surface condition of the driveway, if it is an asphalt drive, have it professionally resealed, or do it yourself with a high quality sealer. If yours is a concrete driveway, power wash it to remove any stains. If needed, apply a concrete cleaning solution and then power clean.
Packaging – The interior
When considering a home to purchase, the buyer often visualises what it would be like living there. If the home is dominated by strong personal statements, buyers are less likely to feel comfortable, and therefore less able to visualise the property as their own. Personal statements are reflected in many areas such as the following:
- Unusual wall colours or heavily patterned wallpaper
- Heavy odours from pets, tobacco or cooking
- Strong political or religious statements
- Unusual art or furnishings
Appeal To The Sense
There are many ways to create a more exciting and saleable interior at surprisingly little cost.
Below you will find some sensory selling tools that can have enormous impact as well as suggestions on how to improve each room.
It is proven that people react more favourably to property shown under bright light than dark. A little tip here is to replace all light globes with higher watt.
A fundamental rule when selling your house is to keep colour neutral and light. White, beige and grey are the most popular. However, light pastels have gained favour in recent years.
The sound of peace and quiet are some of the best sounds to have when your home is being shown to a prospective buyer. But there are other noise considerations of which you should be aware, such as: Barking dogs and noisy children, Running dishwashers, Vacuum and lawnmowers. Light classical or instrumental music can be effective in creating a pleasing atmosphere
Smell has tremendous impact and it can work for or against you. The smell of “new” is positive and can be achieved by thoroughly cleaning carpets and floors, applying a fresh coat of polyurethane to natural wood or paint to walls. Smells to avoid include strong pet odours, tobacco and cooking.
The End Result
By showing attention to details and understanding that buyers need to visualise your home against a neutral backdrop, you can dramatically increase the saleability of your home. The sales team at Century 21 Hill & Viteri are happy to assist you with recommendations to help your house sell for the highest price and we invite you to contact us to discuss the sale of your home.
If you are considering buying a property and it is with another company and you are in need of some advice, please feel free to call the Hill & Viteri Property team with any questions you may have.